Remember that it is not you that support the root, but the root that supports you.
Beginning in Days of Sailing Vessels
Sailing vessels brought the lumber from Galveston to build St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Rockport. The edifice was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, Bishop of Texas, on November 30, 1871. The church was located near the train depot, and services came to a halt during the arrival and departure of trains.
No Stranger to Storms
During the hurricane of 1875, the church was destroyed and then rebuilt on the same site. It was demolished again in 1919.
Historic Changing of Locations
Since its second rebuilding, St. Peter's has been moved twice. The lumber, the windows, and the doors used in its original construction, have been preserved. The church building was moved to 412 N. Live Oak St. location in 1953.
In 1954, the Parish Hall was added. Between 1954 and 1962, the church, parish hall, and grounds were improved. The chancel and seating capacity were enlarged. In the spring of 2001, the seating capacity, parish hall, and parking were expanded, and a new Sunday School building was erected. In 2003, a nine acre tract on Henderson Street was purchased for future expansion.
Gaining Parochial Status
For ninety-three years of its life, St. Peter's was a mission dependent for worship upon the bishop, clergy and lay readers living nearby and the community. In 1964, St. Peter's was admitted to parochial status by The Diocese of West Texas, which meant its long infancy had ended, and the church was self-supporting and ready to stand on its own.
New Ministry Center
2011 saw the beginning of work toward a new Ministry Center located at 555 Enterprise Blvd. next to the Rockport U.S. Post Office. Stained glass windows, the alter, St. Francis statue, and bell from the old church were incorporated into the new building. July 2016 the spacious new facility was Dedicated and Consecrated.
Thirteen months after its Dedication and Consecration, Hurricane Harvey tore through Aransas County with 140 mile an hour winds. In the midst of Harvey's devastation, St. Peter's found that even with a damaged building, we could provide comfort and reassurance to a battered community.
Disaster Recovery: Presiding Bishop's Visit
Presiding Bishop Michael B. Curry, along with representatives from Episcopal Relief and Development, toured the Coastal Bend area February 27-28, 2018 to hear about the affects of Hurricane Harvey.
Birth of a New Ministry
With the pandemic of 2020, the church had to adapt to stay-at-home orders and find a way to providing for the spiritual health while preserving physical health of our fellowship. From knowing nothing about live video streaming to producing vibrant services, a small group of staff and volunteers rose to the occasion and produced Facebook Live services, meditations, and a moving Easter Vigil. From this the Live Streaming Ministry was born.
Following a period of service by The Rev. Harry Carter, who was a lay reader, The Rev. Harold Edmundson was called as the first rector.
+ The Rev. Lester Hill in 1968 who served until 1975
+ The Rev. Walter D. Clark assumed duties of priest to the parish.
+ The Rev. Maurice Lane Friedman succeeded Fr. Clark in 1997 and served until the summer of 2002.
+ Interim Priests conducted services untill the arrival of The Rev. G. M. (Mac) Keeble who was rector from 2004 until his retirement in 2007.
+ Then interim rectors including The Rev. Art Hadley served us until the arrival of The Rev. James W. Friedel, our present rector.